Tenancy Information, Payments & Charges
Contracts are legally binding for the full duration of the contract, so you should be sure of your plans before you sign for a property. Due to recently introduced "Right to Rent" Immigration legislation, we may now need to carry out identity checks on all applicants. All prospective tenants will be asked to provide documentary proof of their "right to rent".
The majority of student property Tenancy Agreements will typically last around a year, normally starting in early July and ending in late June each year. The precise date in July and June will depend on the individual property and landlord for example, a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th July start date, 28th, 29th or 30th June end date).
For this reason, the exact rental price is listed as an approximate and may be slightly different to that stated for example, £80 per person per week could be £80.40 per person per week due to the contract length being a few days less than a year. Due to the large number of properties listed and corresponding different landlords and their contract dates it is not always possible to be exact on the decimal points. For this reason, the weekly rent figure is listed as an approximate.
Permitted Charges in accordance with the Tenant Fee Act 2019 for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.
In addition to the rent, we only charge tenants (or anyone acting on the tenant's behalf) the following permitted payments:
- Deposits – a maximum of 5 weeks rent for annual rent below £50,000, or 6 weeks rent for annual rental of £50,000 and above. For Student properties, the deposit is typically £200 per person each for a multi-occupancy shared property
- Contract variation, novation, amendment at the tenant’s request, and where agreed by the Landlord e.g., change of occupant: £50 inclusive of VAT per instance
- Rental payments overdue by more than 14 days will be subject to interest at the rate of 3% over the Bank of England Base Rate calculated from the date the payment was due up until the date the payment was received
- Payment for the reasonable cost of any lost keys(s) or security device(s)
- Payment of any unpaid rent or other reasonable costs associated with any allowable early termination of the tenancy, if agreed by the Landlord (capped at the Landlord’s loss or the agents reasonably incurred costs)
- Payment of the reasonable costs incurred as a result of any breach of the terms of the tenancy by the tenant
- Utility, communication services, payable to the provider where applicable e.g. gas, electricity, telephone, broadband, TV license, council tax etc.
- Any other permitted payments not included above, as allowable under the Tenant Fees Act 2019
Please note we do not accept cash. Payments should be made by standing order or Bacs. Be advised that in some cases we will just advertise properties on an "Introduction only" basis for landlords where we have no involvement in the contract signing. In these circumstances, they may have different information to those above.
The information provided above is set out as an outline only for guidance and does not constitute part of an offer or contract. All prospective applicants should satisfy themselves as to the correctness of all statements and should not rely on them as representations of fact. No person in the employment of Dove Properties and Estates Limited has any authority to make or give representation or warranty whatever in relation to a property.
- We are members of Safe Agent, RLA, NALS, SADLA
- Independent Redress is available from the Property Ombudsman (Lettings)
- We also have Landlord Client Money Protection Insurance from NALS (Now Safe Agent)