Tenancy Information, Payments & Charges
Contracts are legally binding for the full duration of the contract, so you should be sure of your plans before you sign for a property. Due to recently introduced "Right to Rent" Immigration legislation, we may now need to carry out identity checks on all applicants. All prospective tenants will be asked to provide documentary proof of their "right to rent".
The majority of student property Tenancy Agreements will typically last around a year, normally starting in early July and ending in late June each year. The precise date in July and June will depend on the individual property and landlord for example, a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th July start date, 28th, 29th or 30th June end date).
For this reason, the exact rental price is listed as an approximate and may be slightly different to that stated for example, £80 per person per week could be £80.40 per person per week due to the contract length being a few days less than a year. Due to the large number of properties listed and corresponding different landlords and their contract dates it is not always possible to be exact to the decimal point. For this reason, the weekly rent figure is listed as an approximate.
Bills Inclusive Properties:
In recent years the demand from student tenants for bills inclusive rental options has increased dramatically. Whilst a small proportion of landlords will provide a bills inclusive rent in which the landlord will provide and pay for the utilities for the property, for the vast majority of properties you may wish to use the services of a third-party bills management company who may provide you with a bills inclusive offering that may meet your requirements.
UniHomes offer a service to tenants with an option for an inclusive bills package. In this scenario, typically the tenants of the property will have the option to pay their share of utility bills for the property direct to UniHomes, who will arrange the provision of utilities for the property, usually gas, electricity, water, broadband and TV licence. The price that UniHomes offer is usually based on and will differ according to the number of tenants signed for the property. When you apply to rent a property with us, in the majority of cases, we will give you the option to take a bills inclusive package with UniHomes. If once you have researched the market and considered whether they meet your needs you wish to go ahead, you will need to return the completed UniHomes form to us and we will send it off to UniHomes who will arrange the utilities for the tenancy. All housemates will pay UniHomes by direct debit for the bills covering the tenancy. The rental contract for the property with the landlord is unaffected and is provided on a rent only basis. For further information, please visit www.unihomes.co.uk/help-centre. Please note you are not obliged to contract with UniHomes and other providers are available and so you should be sure you have researched the market thoroughly to ensure your aims have been met. Please note that UniHomes is not part of Dove Properties and Estates Limited and we accept no liability or responsibility for their service to you. Please ensure that you take advice where necessary and research the market before contracting with UniHomes.
Should you wish to proceed with UniHomes, all communication from this point should be between you and UniHomes directly. Please note should you enter into agreement with UniHomes fir the supply of utilities Dove Properties and Estates may take a small commission from UniHomes.
We reiterate that you are under no obligation to enter into an agreement with UniHomes.
Permitted Charges in accordance with the Tenant Fee Act 2019 for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.
- In addition to the rent, we only charge tenants (or anyone acting on the tenant's behalf) the following permitted payments:
- Deposits – a maximum of 5 weeks rent for annual rent below £50,000, or 6 weeks rent for annual rental of £50,000 and above. For Student properties, the deposit is typically £200 per person each for a multi-occupancy shared property
- Contract variation, novation, amendment at the tenant’s request, and where agreed by the Landlord e.g., change of occupant: £50 inclusive of VAT per instance
- Rental payments overdue by more than 14 days will be subject to interest at the rate of 3% over the Bank of England Base Rate calculated from the date the payment was due up until the date the payment was received
- Payment for the reasonable cost of any lost keys(s) or security device(s)
- Payment of any unpaid rent or other reasonable costs associated with any allowable early termination of the tenancy, if agreed by the Landlord (capped at the Landlord’s loss or the agents reasonably incurred costs)
- Payment of the reasonable costs incurred as a result of any breach of the terms of the tenancy by the tenant
- Utility, communication services, payable to the provider where applicable e.g. gas, electricity, telephone, broadband, TV license, council tax etc.
- Any other permitted payments not included above, as allowable under the Tenant Fees Act 2019
- Please note we do not accept cash. Payments should be made by standing order or Bacs. Be advised that in some cases we will just advertise properties on an "Introduction only" basis for landlords where we have no involvement in the contract signing. In these circumstances, they may have different information to those above.
- The information provided above is set out as an outline only for guidance and does not constitute part of an offer or contract. All prospective applicants should satisfy themselves as to the correctness of all statements and should not rely on them as representations of fact. No person in the employment of Dove Properties and Estates Limited has any authority to make or give representation or warranty whatever in relation to a property.
- We are members of Client Money Protect, RLA, SADLA
- Independent Redress is available from the Property Ombudsman (Lettings) registration number D6774.
- We also have Landlord Client Money Protection Insurance from Client Money Protect